In a memo dated March 11, 2011 from the City Manager: FEMA has announced that it will suspend its use of mapping areas behind levees that do not meet the 100-year protection level as if the levees do not exist. Extensive pressure throughout the country has led to FEMA issuing a memorandum stating that they will seek an alternative methodology to mapping areas of potential flood risk behind levees that are not certified.
City staff has been informed by Region VI FEMA officials that all work on Dallas’ pending preliminary Flood Insurance Rate Maps has been halted for at least a month. City staff will continue conversations with FEMA over the next several weeks to further understand what the ultimate timeline will be for the issuance of the new floodplain maps but it is important to note that it continues to be the City’s goal to complete the levee improvements in December 2011 and prepare for re-certification at that time. The US Army Corps of Engineers remains committed to this timeline.
Further information will be shared once we have clarity about the remapping timeline. The levee work will continue moving forward as planned, and thus it is with confidence that the 100-year flood protection level certification will be provided prior to FEMA’s release of new maps.